About FCC Fayetteville
First Christian is blessed to claim generations of people who have come before and followed God’s vision and call for this church. A 165-year-plus legacy in Fayetteville comes with the responsibility of continually moving toward the future and seeking God’s direction for the ways we can engage our minds,grow our hearts and use our hands in God’s world.
First Christian Church of Fayetteville, Arkansas was born in the winter of 1848 after a 12-day tent meeting held by two pastors, 25-year old Robert Graham and 60-year old John T. Johnson. A few years later, Graham founded Arkansas College on grounds where the church now stands. The college buildings were destroyed by fire in December 1862 during the Battle of Fayetteville. Fire also destroyed the original church, located on the downtown square, and after the war, a new church was completed in 1872 on the location where Arkansas College once stood.
Another fire in 1912, caused by a faulty coal furnace, destroyed that church, but on May 24, 1914, a dedication service was held for the First Christian Church in which we still worship today.
A complete history, “Fayetteville First Christian Church: Historical Notes from the First 160 Years,” is available at the Fayetteville Public Library and in the Mullin’s Library at the University of Arkansas.