We are a global mission’s church in partnership with the Community of Disciples of Christ in Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo. In response to humanitarian, political and economic hardships affecting the Congolese, we put our faith into action through partnerships guided by the voiced needs of sister churches in Congo.
Some ways we have been involved:
- Congo Awareness Week – 3rd week of October
- Building of two wells in Mbandaka and Bongondjo (2012)
- The Well Project 2013 (Goal $5,000)
- 4 wells built in 2013
- The Well Project and Girl’s Education 2014 (Goal $10,000)
- Purchase of crafts and clothing from SHONA Congo artisans
- Support of a mission visit to DRC and the Republic of Congo
- Fund raisers for Bolenge Hospital
- Support of micro-credit and skills training programs in Congo
- Ongoing projects as presented
WEEK OF COMPASSION
We actively support Week of Compassion – the relief, refugee and development mission fund of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States and Canada which seeks to equip and empower disciples to alleviate suffering through disaster response, humanitarian aid, sustainable development and the promotion of mission opportunities. Some ways we are involved:
- Week of Compassion Special Offering in February
- Outreach disbursements as needed for emergency response
- WoC supported mission trips to Joplin, MO; Moss Point, MS; New Orleans and Matamoros, Mexico.
- Representation on the WoC Advisory Board (2013-2016)
- Building of sand dam and well in Amura, Kenya (2012-2013)
In April 2015 First Christian found a new way to put its faith into action by participating with a local organization called Pack Shack which seeks to provide nutritious, easy-to-prepare meals for those facing issues of hunger in our community and world. During worship, the congregation gathered to assemble enough packets for over 21,000 meals!
OWL CREEK SCHOOLS
We partner with Owl Creek Schools through mentoring opportunities and a “Snacks for Packs” program for children facing food scarcity at home. We have also volunteered with the school’s annual Field Day activities.
COOPERATIVE EMERGENCY OUTREACH
First Christian is a founding member of Cooperative Emergency Outreach, an agency supported by more than 20 area churches, which helps persons facing critical financial hardships and challenges. Collection sites are located in the church for food donations. Volunteers serve as staff, deliver food, interview clients, and stock the shelves.
SEVEN HILLS HOMELESS CENTER
- Our “Kitchen Angels” prepare a home-cooked meal each month to deliver and serve to clients of Seven Hills Homeless Center.
- Collection sites in the church encourage donations to help meet ongoing needs.
- GO 7 – volunteers help staff the mobile outreach unit of Seven Hills to distribute food and supplies to people living in outlying areas of Washington and Benton counties and facing issues of poverty and homelessness.
In partnership with Trinity United Methodist Church, our members help on the fifth Sunday of each month to cook, serve, and break bread together with persons in need of a meal. Trinity serves as the host site, and area churches rotate cooking the dinner.
BUTTERFIELD TRAIL VILLAGE
With the vision of long-time members, First Christian partnered with four area churches to help establish Butterfield Trail Village Retirement Community. First Christian leads Sunday vesper services for the residents on a rotating basis.
COMMUNITY KIDS’ CLOSET
Each Spring and Fall, we partner with Community Kids’ Closet by providing new clothing for school children in need throughout Washington County.